Now at Moorina all you can hear is the rustle of the trees in the wind and bird calls. This tranquil spot was once the busy transport hub of the North East, and a centre of the Chinese community.
In the 1880s, nearly every traveller to the North-East passed through Moorina. The township was in the heart of the alluvial tin mining field and was on the central cross roads north-south and east-west. It was the administrative and transport centre of the tin mining region and one of the few places to cross the Ringarooma River.
From the 1860s a campaign began to establish a railway from Launceston to Moorina to ‘open up the country’. In 1917 a line was completed-to the nearby terminal of Herrick. The tin boom had come and gone, and the only mines still producing were the larger, richer sites like Derby.
The rail freight was mainly agricultural produce and supplies and not infrequently, the bodies of Chinese miners that were dug up and, as their traditional ritual required, were returned home to their families for a second burial.